Thursday, June 21, 2012

Refreshing (or REFRESHING!)


I am in love with my refresh key.  I hear there’s a Function key that does the same thing, but I can’t find it and every time I try, weird things happen to my computer.  Not fun.  And not refreshing in the slightest.

Some good things happened over these past couple of weeks in the snail-paced world of writing.  I got a request for a manuscript from a query sent out in February.  And then yesterday, I got another one from a query sent out in March.  It’s June, by the way…almost July…but I’m not complaining!  I swear I’m not.  It beats the alternative, right?

Now, despite the fact that it took five months to hear from the agents, I have convinced myself that they will respond quickly with their thoughts on the project.  (Because mine is their ONLY manuscript right now.  What?  No?  Seriously?)  So I spend most of my day hitting that Refresh key and watching breathlessly as the little message bar tells me I have two, three, four messages, and then, as they dribble in, I am comforted by the fact that there are still sexy hot singles in my area, and low-cost insurance for the likely disease I might pick up from these sexy hot singles, or that there’s a sale going on at my favorite store(s)…none of which I can afford for a variety of reasons.  (If you want snail’s pace, try applying for unemployment insurance.)

Oh, I remember when I first started writing, lo those many years ago, and how quickly I thought I would sell a book.  Didn’t happen.  And then, when I won a pretty decent writing award, I thought, “This is it!”  But it wasn’t.  And then, when I finished my second project, I thought, “Okay, this FOR SURE is the one…”  Only not so much…not yet anyway.  So now…now I manage my expectations just a little better.  I take it all in stride, or at least I try to.

Nowadays, I just sit back, hit that Refresh key, and pray for a coupon for free dessert at Chili’s because that’s a good day, no matter who you are.

1 comment:

  1. Love the wit that keeps the ever gnawing frustration at bay. Being caught in the, "is today the day?" mode myself I resist the torture of the refresh key. Now if I had one on myself when I feel drained, creativity and optimistically, I'd wear the letters off the top of it. At least you don't have to humor yourself that the form letter rejections were written especially for you.

    ReplyDelete