Saturday, January 28, 2012

Welcome to the Dark Side

I was always one of those people who said, "I'll NEVER get an e-reader!  I want to read REAL books.  A Kindle just isn't the same."  Well, that changed on December 25, 2011 when my mom got a Kindle Fire for Christmas.  She, being the technically-challenged person she is, promptly handed it to me and said, "Here.  Figure this out."

Oh, I figured it out alright.  I figured out how to play this AWESOME game called "Bubble Shoot."  And I also figured out that I can get books sent DIRECTLY to the Kindle.  (I'll bet you already knew that, huh?) 


I also figured out that I can blast through books much faster.  


I spent some time thinking about that and figured out that when I read something in an electronic format, I don't take the time to savor every word as I might with a traditional book.  When I have a paper book in my hand, I look at every sentence, read every single word.  Sometimes I'll even go back and re-read a passage again, just to get the full value of the writing.  It's a commitment.


When I read an e-book, I don't have that pressure.  It's like reading a CNN article - I can skim over parts and linger only on portions that interest me.  I can also read my e-book when the TV is on...something I can't do when I'm reading a paper book.  


So is that a good thing or a bad thing?  I don't know.  What I DO know is that I've read a bunch of books since Christmas.  Here they are, in no particular order:

Darkly Dreaming Dexter


Not as good as the series...but maybe that's because I've loved Michael C. Hall, ever since he was David Fisher in Six Feet Under.  The finale episode STILL makes me cry even though I've watched it about a million times.  (And I'm still a little bitter about Keith.  Just saying.)


The Girl Who Would Speak for the Dead


Didn't love it.  Great concept, though.  'Nuff said. 


Almost Moon


Not a feel good book. Fer realz.  You've been warned.


Looking for Alaska
This won an award!


Where Men Win Glory
This should be required reading for EVERYONE.  Period.

American Gods

Neil Gaiman.  What's not to love?  He had me at The Graveyard Book. 


So now that I've got this nifty Kindle all figured out, what books do you suggest I check out next? 

No comments:

Post a Comment